Exploring Social Security Cases and Outcomes

Been Charged With A DUI? How To Lessen The Consequences

by Marie Caldwell

If you are facing a drinking and driving charge, you are probably really nervous about what is going to happen to you when you go to court. Although it is true that Canadian courts take drinking and driving offenses very seriously, there are things that you can do to help lessen the consequences. Follow these tips, and you shouldn't have as much to worry about when you do go to court.

Seek Treatment

One of the best things that you can do after a drinking and driving charge is to seek alcohol treatment. Not only can this help you get over the personal issues that you might have with alcohol use, it can also show the judge and prosecutor that you are working hard to change your behavior. Consider seeing a drug and alcohol use counselor for an assessment; then, you can determine if you need inpatient treatment, outpatient treatment, counseling or another form of treatment. Then, follow through, and bring along documentation that proves that you have sought out help for your drinking problem.

Avoid Drinking

Even if you don't think that you have an alcohol problem, it is best to avoid drinking until after your case has been settled. You don't want to get another charge for alcohol use or risk being seen out and drinking by someone who is involved in your case.

Do Community Service

After your drinking and driving charge but before your court date, it can be a good idea to do community service. By donating your time to a local charity, you can help give back to the community after your drinking and driving mistake. Plus, the courts might give you an easier sentence if the judge sees that you have worked hard to try to make things right.

Bring Supporting Documentation

It's always a good idea to try to make yourself look as good as possible when you go to court. Consider bringing any supportive documentation that can make you look good in front of the judge, such as proof of your good driving record and letters of recommendation from employers, fellow church members and other people from your community. If you can prove to the judge that you are a good person who made a one-time mistake, you might be able to help reduce your sentence.

Hire a Lawyer

Never try to tackle your case on your own. You will need the help of someone who is knowledgeable about the law and who can help fight for you when you're in court, so make sure that you hire a criminal lawyer like Sproule Gordon to help you. For best results, look for someone who is experienced in handling DUI and DWI cases.

These things can help lessen the consequences after being charged with a drinking and driving charge.